Both on shoots and in my personal life I have people asking me what digital cameras I recommend. Whether you’re wanting to start a photography business or just upgrade from your iPhone, I have put together my guide to digital cameras that covers a range of price points to suit everyone’s wallet. I have listed the cameras below with their kit lens as I think it’s the best value, to begin with until you know what lenses you want to invest more in.
- £200 – Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Digital Camera
- £400 – Canon EOS 2000D with 18-55mm or Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens
- £800 – Nikon D5600 Digital SLR Camera with 18-140mm Lens or Pentax K-70 Digital Camera with 18-50mm Lens
- £1,149 – Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera with AF-S 18-140mm VR Lens (This is the camera I shot on from 2018-2019)
- £2,800 – Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Body with the Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Lens (£2,330) (This is the camera, and the main lens I’ve been using since Jan 2019)
Although cameras do have a lifespan, I think if you are buying from a reputable seller, going second hand can save a lot of money. If you’re a professional photographer or someone likely to be taking thousands of photos a week, it’s probably worth investing in a new body. If you’re just picking up photography as a hobby, then getting a well looked after second-hand body can be perfect and a good way to upgrade to a better model for little price difference.
I would avoid online auction sites, as it can be hard to know the authenticity of the gear and whether you are paying a fair price or not.
Online sites to look at:
www.harrisoncameras.co.uk (If you’re Sheffield based this is a great place to look, and where I have bought a lot of my gear from over the years).
I hope this guide to digital cameras was helpful. If you’re interested in starting your own photography business but not sure where to start, I can help. As well as being a photographer I’m an online educator and mentor. I specialise in helping people set themselves up as a freelancer and offer step by step support at the beginning of your career. If you want to find out more about the courses I offer contact me and we can see what I can do to help you.